Afghans based in Switzerland and wish to obtain Machine-Readable Afghan Passports should read the following instructions carefully.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING AFGHAN PASSPORT
- APPOINTMENTS: Applicants MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Embassy. Clients with no prior appointment will not be serviced. For booking an appointment please click on this link.
- VISIT IN PERSON: An applicant MUST visit the embassy in-person on the date and time of their appointment. Applications sent to the embassy via post and/or applications in the absence of the applicant will NOT be processed.
- APPLICATION: An application must be filled carefully in BLOCK letters in English and Dari/Pashto for each applicant, with special attention to name and surname’s spelling, date of birth (Day/Month/Year), height, occupation and other specifics and accurate current address in Switzerland. Application forms can be downloaded here.
- PASSPORT FEE: The fee for one passport with the duration of 5 years is 130.CHF, payable by “Money Order” made to Post-Finance account.
- "Section Consulaire de l’Ambassade de la R.I. d’Afghanistanen Suisse 1202 Geneve, CH34 0900 0000 1767 0802 3”.
- The Embassy does NOT accept cash under any circumstances.
- TAZKIRA (AFGHAN NATIONAL ID): Applicants must provide their original Tazkira to the Embassy along with the application. If the applicant’s Tazkira is not verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a copy of it will be sent to the Ministry of interior Affairs (MoIA) in Afghanistan for verification. A new machine-readable passport will only be issued once the Tazkira is verified by MoIA. All applicants who do not possess verified Tazkiras should apply for Absentee Tazkira (Please refer to relevant section for further information on Absentee Tazkiras). Starting from solar year 1396, Tazkiras issued in absence of the person which are not processed through the Embassy, are not valid.
- PHOTOS: 2 passport size (4x4.5 cm) recent photographs with a white background is required for an application.
- OLD HAND-WRITTEN PASSPORT: The applicant must return his/her old and/or expired hand-written passport(s) to the Embassy upon lodging the application, if available.
- CHILDREN: If a child was born in Switzerland and would like to apply for an Afghan passport, his/her parents, must provide:
a) Tazkira of the parents, either original or copy. The above procedure on Tazkira will apply.
b) Child’s Birth Certificate must be presented to the embassy along with the application.The Certificate must contain the names of both father and mother of the child.
c) Marriage Certificate of the parents must be presented to the embassy along with the application.
- PROOF OF RESIDENCE: The applicant must provide a copy of the Swiss Residence Permit.
- EXPRESS/REGISTERED SELF-ADDRESSED RETURN ENVELOPE: The applicants are required to provide an Express/Registered self-addressed envelope. Embassy will use the Express/Registered envelope to send your NEW passport to the designated address provided on the envelope. Please note that all other types of envelopes will not be accepted. The applicants are also required to note the “Tracking number” of the Express Post to enable them to track their post.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply directly to the embassy, applications submitted to the embassy by travel agencies will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
- Ensure you write your full name in Dari/Pashto on the application.