The embassy provides two types of services: (I) attesting a Birth Certificate (original and/or translation), and (II) Issuing a Birth Certificate.
I. Attestation of a Birth Certificate
The Embassy attests the following for Afghan nationals:
- 1. Afghan Nationals Born in Afghanistan
- The Embassy attests the original or translation of a Birth Certificate issued by Hospitals in Afghanistan or Afghan Central Civil Registration Authority - ACCRA (اداره ثبت احوال نفوس) provided
that the Birth Certificate was attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan. Embassy will NOT charge for this service.
- 2. Afghan Nationals Born Outside Afghanistan
- The Embassy will attest:
a. The original or translation of a Birth Certificate issued and attested by the Swiss authorities. The fee for this service is 15.CHF.
b. The original or translation of the Birth Certificate issued in a third country and attested by the Embassy/Consulate General/High Commission of applicant’s country of birth. The fee for this service is 15.CHF.
c. The original or translation of the Birth Certificate issued in a third country and attested by the Embassy/Consulate General of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in that country
where the Birth Certificate was issued. The fee for this service is 15.CHF.
- Attesting a Birth Certificate:
- For attesting a Birth Certificate, please read the following information and instructions carefully:
- 1. By appointment: can be scheduled online through this link.
- 2. By Post: All required documents can be sent to the Embassy by post. Please include an Express/Registered return self-addressed envelope along with the required documents.
- 3. Required Documents:
a)Request letter. the applicant should write a request letter addressed to this Embassy and outline the services needed (i.e. attestation of the original Birth Certificate, attestation of the translation of a Birth Certificate or both), personal details, address and contact number.
b) Original Birth Certificate and/or originals of its translation.
c)Copy of Birth Certificate and/or copy of its translation.
d)Copy of Residence Permit. An applicant should make a copy of his/her Swiss Residence Permit.
e)Express/Registered self-addressed envelope. An Express/Registered self-addressed return envelope MUST be included in the postal package. Without this, the Embassy will NOT be able to send you back the attested Birth Certificate.
- 4. Fee: Embassy will charge 15.CHF for one Birth Certificate attestation. Applicants can make a money order to “Embassy of Afghanistan”. Please DO NOT send cash by post or DO NOT bring cash in-person to the Embassy. The Embassy does NOT accept cash under any circumstances.
- 5. Procedure:
a) Once the Embassy receives the package by post, it will be processed within 1 week provided that the required documents are complete.
b) The Embassy will send back the attested Birth Certificate to the applicant using the Express/Registered self-addressed envelope.
II. Issuance of a Birth Certificate
In exceptional cases the Embassy will issue a Birth Certificate on the basis of Applicant’s National Identity Card (TAZKERA) or Passport, provided that their originality has been verified.
Same fees and procedures as above applies.